Expanding career options for women


Applications are open now until 31 October 2016 for scholarships of up to $3000 for women who are planning to take up training in non-traditional industries.

What can I use the scholarship for?

These scholarships can be applied to assist with the costs of:

  • student fees;
  • learning resources;
  • mentoring and coaching;
  • tools and equipment; accommodation and transport; and
  • childcare fees.

Who can apply?

The scholarships must be used for commencing training in 2017, in one of the 180 qualifications listed. If you are intending to do an apprenticeship or traineeship qualification, you will need to secure an offer of an apprenticeship or traineeship with an employer.

These scholarships are available to women in Western Australia who are not already receiving funding from another scholarship and have already left school by 1 January 2017.

For more eligibility information and to register your interest, visit the Expanding career options for women page on the Department for Training and Workforce Development website.

Hong Kong exchange program applications close 7 July

The Victoria Peak Tram and Hong Kong city skylineA unique exchange program will give seven young Western Australians the chance to take a one-of-a-kind trip to Hong Kong in 2017. Applications close on 7 July 2016.

The program and is open to people aged between 18 and 24. Young people from regional areas as well as Aboriginal and multicultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

Successful applicants will meet delegates from Hong Kong and participate in activities in Perth in October 2016, before travelling to Hong Kong in February 2017.

The program will provide young people with the chance to develop self-confidence, build international networks, gain an understanding of different cultures and provide a base for future career goals.

The International Youth Exchange Program will further strengthen relations between China and WA and is an initiative of the Western Australian State Government and the Home Affairs Bureau of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government.

To find out more or apply, visit the program page at the Youth Affairs Council of Western Australia website.